Well done to all of our Junior Campus students on completing a great first semester. After two years in and out of remote learning, it has been exhausting, yet exciting, to be back on campus for two whole terms. Students have participated largely uninterrupted in a range of traditional Junior Campus rites of passage, including various sports, Monash Tech School, and a range of other activities and incursions. We still have our camps to look forward to in term 4, but for now we are keeping very busy!

Courage and Curiosity

Over the course of this semester, I have been talking to students and staff about the traits of curiosity (year 7) and courage (year 8), as they pertain to effective learning. These characteristics, as well as being proven traits of highly effective learners, embody the attitude that we aim to instil in our young people at the Junior Campus. Our staff take time to nominate each other for curious or courageous acts at our weekly briefing, and our assemblies use these themes to regular challenge students.

I recently posed a challenge to students that when I saw them in the yard or at the school gate, I would ask what they have been doing to show either courage or curiosity. I got some excellent responses:

Courage

• Trying out for a sports team
  • Auditioning for the production
  • Asking questions in class
  • Answering questions in class
  • Making new friends
  • Taking a school tour
  • Trying a new strategy in a subject
  • Saying ‘I might be way off, but…’

Curiosity

• Meeting new people
  • Going to a lunchtime activity
  • Trying a new strategy in a subject
  • Asking questions in class
  • Asking ‘What if…?

We are hoping to support students to move beyond a fear of failure, and find safe, low-stakes opportunities to struggle and be challenged in both their learning and extra-curricular activities. We want students taking responsible risks in their learning and stepping outside their comfort zone. I would encourage families to engage in this conversation at home and find ways to be curious and courageous in your everyday lives.

Mr Matt Sheehan
Campus Principal – Junior School