Regional Swimming Championships
On Tuesday, 23 March, we had the pleasure of taking out 28 students from the college to the Regional Swimming Championships. This event was quite a milestone to what we have overcome, as this was the first sporting event lost to lockdown in 2020. MWSC had one of the biggest teams entered in the competition based on our exceptional divisional results, and we were rewarded with a top 5 finish on the day.
However, team results at this carnival run second to the individual accomplishments. And on this day, I witnessed what can only be described as the greatest sporting achievement I have witnessed in my 22 years at this college. George H (Year 8) qualified for an astonishing 6 events. He was up against the best swimmers in Eastern Victoria. He won EVERY single event, many of them in record time! Congratulations George on what was an absolutely stunning performance!
While we were very unlucky on not being able to send more students to the State Championships after a few races were decided by less than 0.05 of a second, we are exceptionally proud of all team members! In particular, we would like to acknowledge the following who have qualified for the State Championships to be held in April;
1) Aleisha C (year 7)– 50m backstroke
2) Austin H ( year 8) – 200m freestyle relay and 200m medley relay
3) Jake N (year 8) – 200m medley relay
4) Jon W (year 8) – 200m medley relay
5) Hyuga W (year 7) – 200m freestyle relay
6) Seth S (year 7) – 200m freestyle relay
7) George H (year 8) – 50m freestyle, 50m backstroke, 50m butterfly, 50m backstroke, 200m freestyle relay, 200m medley relay
8) Riley O (year 11) – 50m breastroke, 200m individual medley
Mr Danny Gwynne and Mr Liam Wall