Welcome back to what will be another busy year in the Middle School. My name is Ian MacLeod, I am the Campus Principal who works with Middle School. I would particularly like to welcome our Year 9 students and families as they start their journey at the Senior Campus of the college.
We welcomed our Year 9 and 10 students to the college last week. With the Year 9 Inspire program seeing students involved in a first aid course, problem solving, a city trip and a day of sports to name some of the activities.
Our Year 10 students travelled to Federation University at Ballarat for a 2 day camp where they were involved in wide range of activities including team building sessions, bushwalking and water aerobics. Students also had presentations on student agency and voice, how to manage their device and tips on how to succeed in Year 10.
Thanks to our staff who supported these programs and to our Middle School Team for their work in organising and running both of these fantastic programs to get our school year started on a positive note.
Middle School Team
The Middle School team are here to help you support our Year 9 and 10 students both inside and outside the classroom. Please contact the coordinators if you need any support.
The team is as follows:
- Head of Middle School Lisa McKiernan
- Leader of Middle School Luke Brookman
- Year 9 Coordinators: Bec Kosach and Peter Schneider
- Year 10 Coordinators: Kate Reichman and Mardi de Krester
- Student Wellbeing: Kerri Haworth
Student have received their diaries which are valuable tool to support their learning. Students should record homework and upcoming events to assist with time management and organisation. The diary also contains many worthwhile resources and parents are encouraged to check it weekly and discuss “What went well” for the week.
Parking in and around the Senior Campus
The Senior Campus has parking which is for staff only. The carparks at the Senior Campus should not be used for dropping off or picking up students as this creates a safety issues for both staff and students. Students should be dropped off and picked up in adjacent side streets near the Senior Campus. When parking near the college it is important that parking signs are observed and we ask that you respect our local residents by not blocking their driveways as you drop off or pick up your children.
With the commencement of the school year it is timely to remind all members of our College Community to observe all road laws. In particular cyclists must wear helmets and when students are crossing roads, it needs to be done with care and observing traffic signals and the crossing supervisor if present. Please discuss this with your son/daughter and emphasise the need to follow correct road safety practices to keep everyone safe.
All parents should now have access to Compass. Compass is used to communicate with parents on a wide range of activities within the school. Compass can be access through the college website using any web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari) via your desktop computer or mobile device. Alternatively, parents can also download the Compass App from the Apple App store or Goggle Play by searching “Compass School Manager” which will allow you to access Compass through their mobile device. It is important to note that some of features of Compass are only available in the “browser” version.
Across the holiday period the ICT and Facilities Teams were busy improving the college.
The ICT Works undertaken included:
- Configure and install new core switch
- Configure and install new Wireless Access Points on Senior Campus
- Projectors maintenance across both sites including projector installation
- Ongoing maintenance work on core servers
- New computers in rooms – C1 and C2 on Senior Campus
- Re-imaging computers across the college
- Finalising projector installation in Junior Campus Hall
- Embedding new internet filtering system
- Disposal of old equipment
The Facilities Team work on a wide range of tasks as outlined below:
- Painting on Junior Campus – refreshing both interior and exterior
- Asphalt on road into college behind Theatrette on the Senior Campus
- Work on garden beds on Senior Campus – adding edging near portables and shade sails
- Work roof and ceilings in H2 on Senior Campus
- Testing and Tagging all electrical equipment across both campuses
- Pressure cleaning landing of Middle School building around lockers, P15 and front of hall on Senior Campus
- Coating of hall floors on both sites
- Music Room Floor coated in performance space on Senior Campus
- New Carpet – P12/14/15 and New Furniture – P5/6/7/8 and 15 on Senior Campus
- Year 11 Locker Bay refurbishment – relining the walls and painting, coating the floor, new lockers installed and new roller doors
Thanks to ICT and Facilities Team for their great work across the holiday period.
Arthur Read Photos will be at the College on Monday 11& February to take our school photos. Students should come in the correct summer uniform for photos. Students have received a flyer outlining how parents/guardians can order photos online.
Mr Ian MacLeod
Campus Principal – Middle School