COLLEGE PRINICPAL’S REPORT
I hope everyone had a safe, relaxing and enjoyable holiday. As College Principal I look forward to joining with students, teachers and parents for another exciting and productive year of teaching and learning at Mount Waverley Secondary College.
I am pleased to report that the college continues to build upon our successes. Our 2016 VCE results were excellent with our College Dux, Grace Lee, receiving an ATAR score of 99.65. Seven students received an ATAR over 99, one fifth of our students scored 90 or more (22% which is in the top 10% in the state) and 41% of students scored 80 or more.
A very warm welcome to all the new students and their families. You are embarking on a wonderful learning journey which will be enhanced by always trying your personal best. You are joining a wonderful college with exceptional teachers who will support you to achieve your best.
Mount Waverley Secondary College provides a learning community where we all respect and care for each other, always working cooperatively as a team. In addition our college provides you with magnificent facilities and resources which are yours to use to maximise your learning opportunities. Please don’t be afraid to ask questions. Staff and students are eager to help you make a successful transition into our college.
Welcome new staff
I would like to welcome the following new staff to the college:
It is with great pleasure that I introduce our new Assistant Principal, Mr Andrew Batchelor to our learning community who will be joining our two Campus Principals, Mr Ian MacLeod and Mrs Julie Cain, in the role of Assistant Principal – Range 3. Andrew will be in charge of Community Engagement and will also be overseeing the Middle School. For the last four years Andrew has held the position of Assistant Principal at Bentleigh Secondary College and prior to this, three years as Assistant Principal at Emerald Secondary College.
Mr Batchelor is passionate about improving student learning outcomes and I look forward to working with him in 2017 and beyond.
New Leading Teachers:
Ms Debbie Sekula – Head of Curriculum (teaches Humanities/Business Management)
Mr Jason McCrae – Head of Data Assessment and Reporting (teaches Mathematics)
Mr Bill Thomas – Head of Community Engagement (teaches Science/Psychology)
Mr Luke Day-Smith – Head of Positive Education (teaches English)
Ms Lisa McKiernan – Head of Middle School (teaches Science/Biology)
Other new staff are:
Matt Cara (Physical Education/Health)
Gokce Delioglu (Humanities/Japanese)
Jo Rogers (German)
Rowen May (Science/Mathematics)
Wendy Lucas (Mathematics/Science)
Lu Bai (Humanities/Business Management)
Anna Papagiannopoulos (English)
Emma Stevenson (English)
Lucy Angell (English/Drama)
Aimee Short (Health/Human Development)
Constantia Hill (Humanities/Accounting)
David Hose (Physical Education)
Melanie Wilkinson (Instrumental Music – Trumpet)
Andrea Daniels (Resource Centre Technician)
Kerri McLeod (Student Welfare Counsellor)
Rohan Cupper (ICT Technician)
Please join with me in making these new staff welcome.
Facilities work has been completed over the holidays and will continue during first term. A maintenance grant and our own funding has enabled us to undertake the following:
Senior Campus: a new staff car park, retaining walls have been repaired, the portables have been painted, new basketball and netball courts, new entry and stairs to the campus reception, drainage works, new lockers have been purchased, a new perimeter fence has been installed, a new Weights Room has been set up in the hall, the hall floors have been polished and the VCE Centre has been remodelled and refurbished.
Junior Campus: two evaporative coolers have been installed in the hall, the hall floor has been polished, a new music studio has been created, locker areas refurbished and additional workbenches have been added to the Food Technology area.
It is very exciting to see the many improvements occurring at our college as we continue to enhance our facilities over the coming year.
School Council Election 2017
The Department of Education and Training has approved the commencement of the electoral process for the election of School Councillors for 2017:
• Membership – Our College Council consists of seven parents, five staff members (including the College Principal) and four community members.
• Term of office – The term of office is for two years with half of the members retiring each year but eligible for re-election. Four parents and two staff members end their term of office as at March 2017.
• Retiring College Councillors
The following members of College Council, while they may be eligible for re-election, retire next month:
Parent members –
Mr John Kouvelas (Council President)
Ms Abigail Wraith (Council Vice President)
Mr Russell Pawsey
Ms Morwenna Griffiths
Staff members –
Ms Katie Radak
Ms Kristen Le Gassick
• Proposed Timeline for Election
Friday 10 February Call for nominations
Friday 17 February Nominations close 4.00pm
Monday 20 February Nominations displayed at each campus.
Election held if required.
Friday 3 March Close of ballot 4.00pm. Votes counted.
Thursday 16 March College Council AGM, followed by meeting of new Council
• Voting – If the number of nominations exceeds the vacancies in either the parent or staff categories, an election will be necessary. All parents are entitled to vote for parent representatives and Department of Education and Training (DET) employees vote for staff representatives.
• Methods of Voting (voting slips available on college website or college office)
There are two ways in which you can record your vote on the official voting form during the election period dates as listed above:
(1) Post your vote to the college to arrive by 4.00pm Friday 3 March or
(2) vote in person at the college general office at either campus between 8.00am and 4.00pm during the election period
• Nominations of Candidates – For most school councils, there are three possible categories of membership:
(1) A mandated elected Parent category – more than one-third of the total members must be from this category. Department of Education and Training (DET) employees can be Parent members at their child’s school as long as they are not engaged in work at the school.
(2) A mandated elected DET employee category – members of this category may make up no more than one-third of the total membership of school council. The principal of the school is automatically one of these members.
(3) An optional Community member category – members are coopted by a decision of the council because of their special skills, interests or experiences. DET employees are not eligible to be Community members.
• DET Employee Member Category – The DET Employee Member Category includes the principal of the school and DET employees engaged in work at, and for, the school.
• Role of School Councillors – School Councillors currently play an important role in decision making and the management of our college. They donate many hours to the sub committees of Council: Finance, Education and Buildings& Grounds. Councillors belong to one sub committee, attend one monthly council meeting and represent the college at many functions.
SCHEDULE 4 – Notice of Election and Call for Nominations
An election is to be conducted for members of College Council of Mount Waverley Secondary College.
Nomination forms may be obtained from the college general offices or the college website and must be lodged by 4.00pm on Friday 17 February 2017.
Following the closing of nominations, a list of the nominations received will be displayed at each campus. The terms of office, membership categories and number of positions in each membership category open for election are as follows:
Membership Term of Office Number of positions
Parent Member 16 March 2017 to 16 March 2019 – 4
DET Employee Member 16 March 2017 to 16 March 2019 – 2
If the number of nominations is less than the number of vacancies, a notice to that effect and calling for further nominations will be posted in a prominent position at the college.
If there are more nominations than vacancies, a ballot will be conducted. The ballot will close at 4.00pm on Friday 3 March 2017.