International Student Program
Mount Waverley Secondary College is a leading state secondary coeducational school noted for the consistent academic success of its students and the dedication of its staff. Its outstanding reputation is due to a commitment to teaching academic programs, developing traditional values, focusing on lifelong learning, instilling self discipline, encouraging leadership, nurturing the individual to maximize their growth potential. We have high expectations. Our College community values, supports and expects achievement.
Mount Waverley has a long and proud history welcoming international students, being one of the first schools in Victoria to enrol international students in 1994. International students enrich the diverse cultural mix at the College; we currently have students from China, Germany, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and other countries. We are well supported by various English Language Schools in the immediate area, who provide intensive English language instruction until students are ready to be integrated into mainstream classes.
Mount Waverley Secondary College has dedicated International Student Coordinators who oversee the enrolment, home stay accommodation and pastoral care of each international student. Multicultural Education Aides cater for specific language groups and students have access to all student support services including Social workers, Youth Workers, Nurses, Psychologists and the Career Guidance Centre. Extra tuition is available after school in most subjects.
International students live in home stay accommodation in the local area, organised through the school or with a relative. Most home stay providers live locally to the College, with most students either walking to school or taking a short bus ride. The College makes a careful selection of suitable home stay accommodation for students who do not have relatives in Melbourne and closely monitors the welfare of students during their stay with their Australian families.
RESOURCES AND FACILITIES
- Networked computer laboratories for student access to the internet and email. A range of additional information and communications technologies enhance teaching and learning
- Laptops for classroom use with wireless connection
- Music performance centres, practice and recording rooms
- VCE Study Centre, Careers Centre
- Student services coordinators, school nurses, youth worker, psychologist and social worker
- Unicorn Theatre, a 200 seat facility
- Two Gymnasiums
- Robolab computerised laboratory
- Industry accredited hospitality training facilities
- Libraries electronically linked to classrooms
- Landscaped grounds
- Specialist rooms for all subjects
- Historic residential property and school camp at Lower Homebush at Avoca
- New building with the latest Science and IT facilities
- New, modern student canteen with adjoining cafeteria style eating area
- New modern facilities currently being planned and designed for the College as part of the State Government Building Futures Program
MWSC is located in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, 18.5 km from the city
The suburb of Mount Waverley is a quiet, well-resourced area. The local community includes a shopping centre, churches, public libraries and the Monash Medical Centre. It is well served by public transport, especially buses and trains.
Learn more about Melbourne: www.studymelbourne.com.au
HOW TO ENROL
Applications from international (fee-paying) students should be made directly to:
The application usually involves three steps before the actual enrolment at Mount Waverley Secondary college can be completed.
1. The Application Form:
This is available from the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD) or at the website: www.study.vic.gov.au. It should be completed and sent to DEECD with:
- Academic reports
- English transcripts
- A reference from the student's current principal
2. Acceptance of an Offer of a Place:
If the application is successful, the DEECD International Student Program Unit will send a placement offer.
To accept, the student should:
- Return the signed Offer of Placement
- Pay at least 50% of the fee to the International Student Program
A Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and a receipt for fees and charges (including Overseas Student Health Cover) will then be sent.
The application for a Visa may then be made through the Australian diplomatic mission in the student's own country, after the CoE is received. Information about other requirements should be available from the Australian diplomatic mission.
Only after these steps have been completed, and providing places are available at the College, will enrolment be completed.
The International Students Coordinator at Mount Waverley Secondary College may be contacted for assistance.
Mount Waverley Secondary College
MOUNT WAVERLEY 3149
Postal Address: PO Box 346
MOUNT WAVERLEY VIC 3149
International Students Principal: Mr Roy Canil
International Students Coordinator: Mrs Wendy Wong
Phone No.: +61 3 9803 6811
Fax No.: +61 3 9887 9308